The mission of the Derby Neck Library is to provide its patrons access to the ideas and information that are necessary to allow them to fully participate in the life of the community and in a democratic society.
This mission is accomplished:
- By providing physical access to materials in a variety of formats
- By providing a warm and welcoming atmosphere
- By providing programs, materials and activities which stimulate interest in education, reading and viewing
- By providing informational and recreational programs and activities for patrons of all ages
- By working with other institutions and organizations to share and exchange ideas and materials
- By maintaining an active management program that fully utilizes human, financial and material resources
- By assisting patrons in locating information and obtaining material for various projects
TIMELINE OF THE DERBY NECK LIBRARY
- 1897 A $50.00 donation was received from Wilbur F. Osborne. A library was started in the Derby Neck School (present location of children’s room).
- 1907 A 1,500 square foot library was completed with a $3400 donation from Andrew Carnegie plus an additional contribution from Wilbur F. Osborne and Frances Osborne Kellogg. The original library was constructed on a site adjacent to the Derby Neck School (later known as Hawthorne School).
- 1972 Hawthorne School was demolished allowing the library to be enlarged to 6500 square feet.
- 2002 An expansion project was completed enlarging the building to its present 14,950 square feet.