WELCOME ABOUT THE LIBRARY LIBRARY HOURS WOWBRARY LIBRARY EVENTS CHILDREN'S CORNER     TEEN SPACE    
SEARCH OUR CATALOG REQUEST CT - STATE CATALOG ONLINE RESEARCH RESOURCES FRIEND'S GROUP

 

 

ABOUT  OUR LIBRARY
 
STAFF

Ian Parsells, Head Librarian

Kathleen Gordon, Children's Librarian
Patricia Sweeney, Reference Librarian
Roberto Carmona, Head of Circulation
Norman Strumello, Custodian

Christina Baclawski
Andrew Bisaccia
Kimberlee MacDonald
Christopher Ochoa
Carol Senfield

Support Staff:
Matthew Bisaccia
Bonnie Chevarella
Stephen Bisaccia


 
BOARD OF DIRECTORS

Shirley Erickson, President
Bernard Williamson, Vice President
Madeleine Sobin, Secretary-Treasurer
Maureen Coffey
Angelo Dirienzo
Laura Donahue
Richard Dunne
John Kelleher
Karen Kemmesies
John Rak
Bruce Sill
John Walsh

 

 MISSION

The mission of the Derby Neck Library is to provide its patrons access to the ideas and information that are necessary to allow them to fully participate in the life of the community and in a democratic society.
 
This mission is accomplished:
By providing physical access to materials in a variety of formats
By providing a warm and welcoming atmosphere
By providing programs, materials and activities which stimulate interest in education, reading and viewing
By providing informational and recreational programs and activities for patrons of all ages
By working with other institutions and organizations to share and exchange ideas and materials
By maintaining an active management program that fully utilizes human, financial and material resources
By assisting patrons in locating information and obtaining material for various projects

 

TIMELINE OF THE DERBY NECK LIBRARY
1897 A $50.00 donation was received from Wilbur F. Osborne. A library was started in the Derby Neck School   (present location of children’s room).
1907 A 1,500 square foot library was completed with a $3400 donation from Andrew Carnegie plus an additional contribution from Wilbur F. Osborne and Frances Osborne Kellogg. The original library was constructed on a site adjacent to the Derby Neck School (later known as Hawthorne School).
1972 Hawthorne School was demolished allowing the library to be enlarged to 6500 square feet.
2002 An expansion project was completed enlarging the building to its present 14,950 square feet.